[softwarelist] Re: Key shortcut (OT on this list)

  • From: M Harding <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 15:13:41 +0100

In article <5387da8e3edave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In article <dbbba48753.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 7 Sep 2013  Frederick Bambrough <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity I tried Zap, Edit, StrongED, Pipedream,
> > > Fireworkz, Ovation Pro & the Messenger Pro editor. Only the
> > > last two had any concept of select all text at all. The others
> > > seem to depend entirely on dragging (unless they have
> > > combinations that aren't described on menus?). Messenger uses
> > > CTRL A.

> > Not true for StrongED, though it's slightly different there. Menu
> > > Block > Select > Text, or Control-A twice. So it seems that
> > the use of Control-A is far from universal, though perhaps the
> > use of selecting the whole text is more common, but maybe by
> > other means.

[ . . . ]
> In the big Windows world, Ctrl+A is Select All, Select All text,
> Select All pictures etc... Even in my Movie Editor Ctrl+A Selects
> All the timeline.
[ . . . ]

> Nb:
> Zap here uses Ctrl+A to Select All text etc.
> The Impression family, like Publisher use Ctrl+A
> Eureka doesn't use Ctrl+A but the whole sheet can be selected from
> a (Top LH corner) button.
> Draw uses Ctrl+A to Select All objects.
> Pluto uses Ctrl+A
> As do some others...
> The RO Filer uses Ctrl+A
> The rest are just RO failings, or are not needed for a specific app.

[ . . . ]

To add to the list, Computer Concepts' Impression/Publisher uses the
Ctrl+A to select all text. I long ago swapped from Publisher to OvPro
RISC OS version & found I quickly adapted to using Ctrl+Alt+A instead
- the initial niggle didn't last long.

Michael Harding
Rev. Preb. M.D. Harding   riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx