[softwarelist] Re: Key shortcut (OT on this list)

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 08:48:49 +0100

In article <dbbba48753.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2013  Frederick Bambrough <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Snip]

> > Out of curiosity I tried Zap, Edit, StrongED, Pipedream, Fireworkz,
> > Ovation Pro & the Messenger Pro editor. Only the last two had any
> > concept of select all text at all. The others seem to depend entirely
> > on dragging (unless they have combinations that aren't described on
> > menus?). Messenger uses CTRL A.

> Not true for StrongED, though it's slightly different there. Menu >
> Block > Select > Text, or Control-A twice. So it seems that the use of
> Control-A is far from universal, though perhaps the use of selecting
> the whole text is more common, but maybe by other means.

> With best wishes,

> Peter.

This mailing list is funny peculiar, in that one will often see references
to postings that have not been received.

Fred's posting above has never arrived here, though the rest of the
discussion has.

Back to the plot...
Mmnnn!
You are talking about (As my friend calls it) Cul-de-sac computing,  a
mere fart in a gale...  ;-)

(Yes I know, we as enthusiast of RO, all think otherwise, but the truth is
still evident).

In the big Windows world, Ctrl+A is Select All, Select All text, Select
All pictures etc... Even in my Movie Editor Ctrl+A Selects All the
timeline.

Anyway, Fay has her answer and I'm moving on after the Nb.

Dave

Nb:
Zap here uses Ctrl+A to Select All text etc.
The Impression family, like Publisher use Ctrl+A
Eureka doesn't use Ctrl+A but the whole sheet can be selected from a (Top
LH corner) button.
Draw uses Ctrl+A to Select All objects.
Pluto uses Ctrl+A
As do some others...
The RO Filer uses Ctrl+A
The rest are just RO failings, or are not needed for a specific app.

In PC land.
Sophisticated Text editors do Ctrl+A
** Ovation Pro for Windows does Ctrl+A **
Office suites, Word and Excel do Ctrl+A
KingsSoft Office does Ctrl+A
Browsers, Firefox MIE do Ctrl+A
Graphics apps do Ctrl+A
I can even select the whole Time line in my Movie Editor.
Etc, Etc...

Blimey, even on an Apple computer, using the Command key+ A selects all
the whatever.
If you substitute the Command key for our and Windows Ctrl, many hotkeys
ARE universal.

Dave Triffid