[softwarelist] Re: Key shortcut (OT on this list)

  • From: Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2013 23:00:57 +0100

On 7 Sep 2013  Frederick Bambrough <fred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <3IpKt7BIX5KSFwVL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>      David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> In message <53879bf21fdave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
>> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>>Why does this (slightly naughty word) programme not use the universal
>>> Ctrl+ A to Select all the text? Particularly as the Win OvPro has Ctrl+A to
>>>select all text.
>>
>> What is the standard on RISC OS...
>>
>> I have a dim memory about this, maybe it was felt that Ctrl+A was too
>> easy to mix up with caps lock.
>>
>> (sat at keyboard which has had caps lock key removed)

> Out of curiosity I tried Zap, Edit, StrongED, Pipedream, Fireworkz, Ovation
> Pro & the Messenger Pro editor. Only the last two had any concept of select
> all text at all. The others seem to depend entirely on dragging (unless they
> have combinations that aren't described on menus?). Messenger uses CTRL A.

Not true for StrongED, though it's slightly different there. Menu >
Block > Select > Text, or Control-A twice. So it seems that the use of
Control-A is far from universal, though perhaps the use of selecting
the whole text is more common, but maybe by other means.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter Young (zfc W) and family