[softwarelist] Re: How do I get TransFSI to work?

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 13:50:59 +0100

In message <9d3c3c8b4f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> writes
I am stuck trying to get TransFSI to do what it seems is its purpose.  I
have found this problem before but today decided to explore a bit.

I have TransFSI in the Applets directory inside the RISC OS version of
Ovation; it is version 1.01 dated 23 Dec 2002.  I have:

 1. Created a blank Ovation document.

 2. Dragged a JPEG file to the Ovation window: nothing appears.

 3. Converted the JPEG file to Sprite and dragged that to the Ovation
    window and it appears.

The conversion in (3) of JPEG to Sprite was done using DPlngScan, so
something is working.

Hang on...

JPEGs are not normally converted, OP renders them direct from inside the document, using the ability of RISC OS to render JPEGs direct.

But the abilities of RISC OS are limited, it can't render every JPEG, there are various tools around which can convert a JPEG into a JPEG format which RISC OS can handle.

However, you could set things up so that Ovation Pro does not load JPEGs (i.e. tell it that it can't handle them) and configure TransFSI to convert JPEGs to Sprites. I feel this has been discussed once on the mail list, long ago.