[softwarelist] Re: How do I get TransFSI to work?

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 20:56:37 +0100

In message of 5 Apr, David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <9d3c3c8b4f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tim Powys-Lybbe
> <tim@xxxxxxxxx> writes
> >I am stuck trying to get TransFSI to do what it seems is its purpose.  I
> >have found this problem before but today decided to explore a bit.
> >
> >I have TransFSI in the Applets directory inside the RISC OS version of
> >Ovation; it is version 1.01 dated 23 Dec 2002.  I have:
> >
> >  1. Created a blank Ovation document.
> >
> >  2. Dragged a JPEG file to the Ovation window: nothing appears.
> >
> >  3. Converted the JPEG file to Sprite and dragged that to the Ovation
> >     window and it appears.
> >
> >The conversion in (3) of JPEG to Sprite was done using DPlngScan, so
> >something is working.
>
> Hang on...
>
> JPEGs are not normally converted, OP renders them direct from inside the
> document, using the ability of RISC OS to render JPEGs direct.
>
> But the abilities of RISC OS are limited, it can't render every JPEG,
> there are various tools around which can convert a JPEG into a JPEG
> format which RISC OS can handle.
>
> However, you could set things up so that Ovation Pro does not load JPEGs
> (i.e. tell it that it can't handle them) and configure TransFSI to
> convert JPEGs to Sprites. I feel this has been discussed once on the
> mail list, long ago.

Thanks. I loaded the JPEGS into DPlngScan and saved them with the
quality set at 100% so as to lose no definition.  They doubled in
byte size but saving them as Sprites increased some by a factor of 10,
so I was better off.

They then all loaded, as JPEGS, straight in into OPro and by reference.

They were in fact page pictures from a book and I wished to make a PDF
file of them.  Loading all the pictures by reference gave an OPro file
of only a few k.  Curiously, using PDF Print to make the PDF file it
ended up at 25% of the size of the sum of the JPEGs, very efficient;
there is a very minor degradation in quality at 200% scale.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/