[softwarelist] Re: How do I get TransFSI to work?

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 20:01:08 +0100

In message of 6 Apr, Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <d55b6a8b4f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Thanks. I loaded the JPEGS into DPlngScan and saved them with the
> > quality set at 100% so as to lose no definition.
>
> This is a common misconception. Even when encoding at 100% you lose
> definition. In your specific case this is even more annoying because
> you are also likely to increase file size quite a bit compared to the
> original JPEG. If you want to convert the JPEG to a format RISC OS
> understands without loss of quality (and without increasing file size)
> you need a dedicated tool like JClean that does not uncompress and
> recompress the JPEG file.

Aha, been there, done that I thought: I had tried Jclean but found it
was not 32-bit so that is why I went to Imagemaster.  But I knew you
would not have suggested it if it did not work so I managed to find a
distribution of JTOOLS which included the vital jpegtran program which I
used to substitute for the old one in Jclean.  Bingo and the thing
worked!  Jclean storms through the conversions with the unchanged
graphic and marginally (c. 2%) larger file sizes: works well with OPro
and prints fine.  Thanks.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                          tim@xxxxxxxxx
             For a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/