[softwarelist] Re: Fonts

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 18:27:32 +0100

In message <2mRK8aE7P5CNFwqy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <51871dbc8edave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>'Tis a darn shame there isn't something like EFFTTT to transwhatever a
>>RISCOS font to a TTF.

> I feel I've been in this situation before.

> The first thing that springs to mind is to use the Windows ability to
> use PostScript format fonts. You can see that you're almost there
> because the PostScript printer drivers on RISC OS are converting fonts
> to PostScript.

Correct in principle, but there is some fine print:

First of all, the Acorn PostScript driver converts RISC OS fonts to
Type-3 fonts, and those have nothing in common with the PostScript
Type-1 flavour that is supported by Windows.

The commercial PostScript 3 driver does convert RISC OS fonts to
Type-1 fonts, but there is no easy way to extract them from the
PostScript stream and package them in a way Windows can understand.

The most likely approach would be to create a PDF file from the output
of the PostScript 3 driver and then use some Windows tool to extract
the embedded font from the PDF file. I cannot name such a utility but
I would be very surprised if there was not such a tool, probably there
is more than one.

Finally, it is worth noting that high quality RISC OS fonts (most
notably, EFF fonts) often come complete with PostScript Type-1 files,
just not exactly in the format required by Windows. Any decent font
editor should be able to convert the fonts to the required format.

Martin