[softwarelist] Re: Fonts

  • From: John M Ward <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 12:26:29 +0000 (GMT)

In article <LaZY$QDqFKOLFwm1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> In message <50d09d84d6dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes
> <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

> I'm surprised there's not more choice, given the number of fonts that
> have been converted from Windows to RISC OS over the years.

Yes, hundreds of them were made available by Skyfall Public Domain (now
part of APDL, I believe) -- though their "character layout" didn't tally
with the regular Acorn fonts, so changing font to one of theirs tended to
mess up punctuation, for example...

> I'd been thinking about Dr. Fonty, but apparently that only goes from
> RISC OS to Windows.

> There have been large discs of PC fonts, including from EFF. There used
> to be a web site of 100's (whose name escapes me "Harry Palmers Font
> Site" - summink like that) but that went in a copyright argument (what a
> shock).

Harry Palmer was the name given to Len Deighton's British spy character
(anonymous in the original novels) for the movies "The Ipcress File",
"Funeral In Berlin" and "Billion Dollar Brain".  I think it was Harry
Payne whose font emporium you mean  :-)

--
John Ward in Medway, Kent - using RISC OS since 1987
Now using an Iyonix, an A9home, 2 RiscPCs and Virtual-RPC!