[softwarelist] Re: Copying a Jpeg graphic to the Clipboard on Win OvPro

  • From: Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 19:34:23 +0100

In article <mXeMjnDcHw+PFwTW@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Hi,

> Firstly, and stating the obvious for many users, distinguish between
> selecting the picture and selecting the picture frame.

> Frames can only be copied within Ovation Pro, other apps don't
> understand an OP frame. You select a picture by double clicking it - the
> picture adjustment gadget will then appear (three handles you can use to
> resize the image). Having selected the picture, copy/paste via the
> clipboard ought to work.

Indeedy, I am aware of the above.

> Note, I'm not saying that it does work. Clive Bonsall reported some
> problems a few months back which I have yet to sort out.

> Copy of Windows bmp usually works for me. It looks to me as if JPEG copy
> to the clipboard does nothing.

Indeedy in this one case I can copy out of OvPro and paste into another
Win app, but only if the graphic is a BMP.

But for obvious reasons, they *never* are BMPs.

> I'm not sure about OP corrupting the clipboard, once an app (e.g.
> another app) copies to the clipboard it claims it, and it then belongs
> to the new app.

It appears to be a case of, when attempting to copy out of OvPro and paste
elsewhere, because it fails, OvPro is not releasing the clipboard.
It's not until OvPro is quit (Here anyway) that the clipboard starts to
work again.

> There is also the possibility of say a picture being copied to the
> clipboard in one format and pasted in another. So your app where copying
> a JPEG does work, might be sending it to the destination as .bmp.
> Offering conversions like that is a step beyond where I want to go.

Examining something I've just copied and pasted...
The original is Jpeg, the copy/pasted is also a jpeg, but I take your
point onboard.

> Fixing any bugs or standard things that don't work is within my
> aspirations.

> As consolation, on RISC OS at least you can, having selected your
> picture, drag and drop it into another app.

Indeedy and we use it quite often, unfortunately, because of the end
result we are after, the work has to be done on a Win PC, thus Copy and
Paste graphics out of Win OvPro is a top requirement for the project.

Thanks for the input.

Dave

--

Dave Triffid