[darkice] Re: Achieving realtime with streaming sound

  • From: Roland Whitehead <roland@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 23:33:08 +0000

Evert,

On 6 Dec 2010, at 17:40, you wrote:

> The highest quality will give you the lowest delay ( according to my
> experience ).
> Further, decrease your When buffer size in the player ( will increase hickups
> in case of network issues. )

Many thanks for your reply. Of course the problem is that the higher quality we
deliver the more bandwidth we take up and when we are targeting mobile
platforms this isn't so hot. Currently we are streaming mono sound at a bit
rate of 160 as both .ogg and .mp3. listening via the command line with mplayer
and a cache of only 32K we get around 2 seconds of delay - 1 second of which
comes direct from darkice and appears to be the minimum. Different browsers
then cache different amounts and there doesn't yet seem a way of controlling
this. I'm still looking around for a way of controlling the browser's cache but
it isn't looking good - it's much easier with flash but that is what we are
trying to avoid! However, if darkice is always adding a 1 second buffer that
represents 50% of our total delay (and with this delay we are using an Amazon
Web Services based Icecast2 server) then if we could save 50% of darkice's
delay we'd be saving 25% overall!

> Furthermore, mpg encoding will always give some latency.

I know that now but surely there has to be a way of encoding the sound and
streaming it without delay...

Once again, many thanks for your reply. If I find an answer I'll post a summary!

Roland Whitehead
--
QURU Ltd
Somerset House, Strand, London, WC2R 1LA

Registered in England, No. 6144918, at Millmead, RH20 1AG.