[darkice] Achieving realtime with streaming sound

  • From: Roland Whitehead <roland@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: darkice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:12:07 +0000

We have set up a number of small encoding boxes all running Darkice. These then
stream to Icecast2 servers in North America and Europe. We then embed HTML5
Audio tags in browsers or fall back on Flash if HTML5 is not supported. All
seemingly works beautifully on IE, Firefox and Webkit based browsers, on
desktop, laptop and mobile phones. The sound quality is just great.

Just one problem: there is always too much of a lag in the sound. I am looking
for tips on how to reduce the delay.

It starts with Darkice which insists on a 1 second buffer. Is there anyway to
get this lower?
I appreciate that the different browsers will cache different amounts but what
should I do to minimise this cache? I've tried encoding at the lowest quality
to minimise the stream and at the maximum quality to flood the caches sooner.
Mixed results.

How do others get nearer real-time sound streaming?

TIA

Roland
--
QURU Ltd, London