[dance-tech] Re: Sensordance/ improvised / computational / conceptual

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:06:22 -0000

dear all:

many thanks to the "curators" for their last, and very significant posting.
You raise so many fascinating points that one will need to respond carefully,
and perhaps in increments.
I applaud the level of discussion which has been achieved through these posts,
and the very productive critical framework you propose.

Before going into detail, in later postings, i was wondering why we have not
actually used such new critical frameworks and terminologies to look at
performances and works produced in the last few years, in the dance world or in
the dance-tech/perf.-tech world,  or , let me ask [... looking at the exemplars
you give --  steve paxton, trisha brown, douglas dunn, yvonne rainer), why
don't we use the opportunity now to look at contemporary works, such as
Forsythe's "3 Atmospheric Studies", T.Brown's "How Long Does the Subject Linger
on the Edge of the Volume",  Carol Brown's Sea "UnSea" ,  T.Ranch's " 16
(R)evolutions",  Jaychandran Palazhy's "Purushartha", or hybrid pieces by Tania
Fraga, Ivani Santana, Dumb Type, Pablo Ventura, and many others,
installations or screen-based dance works / net -based dance works, animation
works,  or works we consider significant in our context (produced over the last
10 years), and find out how we can debate their contributions and the
techniques of performance-making we have discovered in them?

(I posted the essay on Forsythe to see whether someone wanted to pick up any of
the intriguing commentaries on composition and layering)

regards
Johannes Birringer