[dance-tech] Re: Sensordance/ improvised / computational / conceptual

  • From: Scott deLahunta <sdela@xxxxxx>
  • To: dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:12:33 +0200

dear curators

At 10:52 22/10/2006 +0100, **curators@transubstantiate** wrote:
Without (more) artists sharing their reflections, experience,
methodologies, praxis, code (etc.) it is hard to contextualise or
visualise the relationship between compositional aesthetics.

This is true.

Unfortunately, we have not delivered any reports (as Johannes asked for) from the *choreographic computation* workshop/ meeting that took place in Paris last June. It was a very stimulating day with content overlapping with the ideas you write about in your post. But it will still take us some time. In the meantime, I have attached my introduction.

http://www.crownpoint.com/artists/reich/CLAPPING.jpg

Nice to see CLAPPING again -- thanks for link.

*Flashback*: Mark Coniglio and I performing CLAPPING on stage together (mea culpa steve). December 1998 at the 'Danse et Nouvelles Technologies' organised by Armando Menicacci for the CND in Paris. The projector had crashed and burned, so we had to improvise. It was, I think, my first talk using the title "software for dancers" and pointing towards the algorithmics (sic) of forsythe and brown. Projector crashed, so had to demonstrate. It was probably a pretty disturbing experience (me demonstrating Locus). I think worse than the Stroop Effect, another sort of 'demonstration', which seemed to leave the audience simply nonplussed, again in Paris, 7 years later.

it seems plausible that the aesthetics of live coding of interactive
systems would bear some relation to the cognitive and notational
structures utilised in improvisation praxis. We suggest that just as
in existing live coding (music/graphics) specific modes of
transformation and representation can be coded and generated in
real-time.

Not sure this relates to your suggestion, but to work (as in spend time in the studio making stuff) with trisha brown, on their project 'how long...', marc downie programmed an environment (realising he had to) for developing his AI agents. He called it Fluid, and I know he hopes to release it soon for anyone to download for free -- you can find a sketch here: http://www.openendedgroup.com/ideas/thesis/fluid.pdf (and I mention it in the attached intro).

But, you gotta know some programming to use it --

best

scott

---------------------------------------------------==| ---------------------------------------------------==| Scott deLahunta Writing Research Associates, NL Sarphatipark 26-3, 1072 PB Amsterdam, NL mobile: +31 652 641 354 email: sdela@xxxxxx www: http://www.sdela.dds.nl/