[dance-tech] Re: March discussion forum: dance/performance and participation

  • From: Henry Daniel <hdaniel@xxxxxx>
  • To: Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 14:11:24 -0700

Hello Johannes,
This is me, still lurking, but coming out of the shadows just a little.

To briefly answer your question (s), this particular research project is in its
early stages, but it has deep origins in previous work over many years, most
recently my “Project Barca: New Architectures of Memory and Identity” in which
I was able to do site-specific research in Andalusia (Spain) on the
consequences of a particular ‘experiment’ and its consequences for that country
as well as the entire Americas.
        The reasons for migrating/moving/travelling/leaving - forcibly or
willingly - one’s ‘place’ or ‘home’ is quite a complex issue, but I am seeking
to establish some general working premises and principles for why these
‘movements’  take place and the complex manifestations that emerge over
long(er) periods of time. I am also interested in specific places and times as
well as peoples who are affected by these ‘movements’, hence the provocative
and somewhat preliminary term ‘contemporary nomadism’.
        The underlying premise is that these ‘movements' or ‘behaviours' have
cortical, cartographic, and cosmological correlates, meaning that we can
investigate them through the complex ‘architectures’ or ‘maps' that are
generated in and through bodies, in and through sites and locations, and in and
through the ‘qualities’, ‘energies’, and/or ‘tensions’ that manifest.
        So yes, there are significant philosophical, political, and
socio-economic aspects to the research, but there are also important links with
the biological and neuro-sciences, the astronomical sciences - including
archaeoastronomy, and the geographic/historic ‘sciences’ (riffing a bit on
Jared Diamond’s GGS), all of which determine what kind of ‘choreography’
emerges.

an example might help explain these interests...
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cqNQYSTbSw
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cqNQYSTbSw>>

Now on to other lurkers…

Cheers,