[dance-tech] Re: March discussion forum: dance/performance and participation

  • From: Johannes Birringer <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 12:32:27 +0000

thank you Nilüfer for this very moving account, and your reflections on the
place where you moved to work, and how you work there and whom you listen to,
and what you wish to collect, and thus to "record" and preserve by transforming
it also, and at the same time these oral memories and articulations could be
said to form a 'history from below' (not top down), a cultural practice closer
to ritual and fiesta, communal aural atmospheres.

And I completely agree with Henry that this post opens up a number of pathways
for us to discuss, about existential practice, techniques of survival and
withdrawal, and also the forms of mediation and composing involved here;
Henry briefly mentioned his research, >>[it] could be described as an abiding
interest in the relationship between people living in or near to historic
locations and/or sites of tension, and having to shift and/or leave those
habitats for one reason or another (migration)>>

and I invite others here to join in and comment, please.  As you well know,
this list comes alive when you participate.

Henry, in your work, do you look at migration through choreography, or at
choreography (and "technologies) through nomadism? is "contemporary nomadism"
(rather than forced migration, economic migration, flight, asylum) not a
euphemism for a much harsher, much more precarious reality?  Or are you
interested in a philosophical, cosmological side of why people change places?
I think Nilüfer (yes, she was here in London a few years ago, finished her Phd)
has given us a remarkable trajectory.....

warm regards
Johannes Birringer

[Nilufer Ovalıoglu schreibt]

>>Yet coming here was by far the best decision I ever took. Witnessing the
>>culture of storytelling, vocal rituals, dances and arts that will disappear
>>soon is priceless. My quest to find tales that make life meaningful as a
>>storyteller is constantly fulfilled. I find myself developing methodologies
>>for producing theatre here, with people from here. I reveal the 'personal'
>>stories of people and face the general politics of war with what is personal
>>and unique to local people. This might be my stand  against the generalizing
>>and categorizing attitude of all sides. I teach the module 'Text and Image'
>>here at the university. I try to transfer the idea of memory and
>>multi-meaning producing to students to draw them back from 'general' ideas in
>>the uni. Unfortunately the area has been left ignorant intentionally to keep
>>wars going on. So it is quite an effort to break their prejudices about
>>identities.

Five years from now, this place may be another country, hit by Isıs or an
ancient Touristic attraction. Within such uncertainties lies the essence of
theatre and more then ever I feel at the steps of  Artaud as he searched 'for
the shadow of effigies'. Life , God, meaning is more here.

Nilufer Ovalıoglu,PhD
Mardin Artuklu University