[csdn-sa] Re: Web-Site - Now Hosted at AUUG Itself

  • From: Benjamin Close <cisbjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: csdn-sa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 14:17:03 +0930

George Patterson wrote:

>First of all I didn't mean anything by my orginal statement. However,
>when you are migrating a web page from one server to another there are
>always things that break, due to reasons such as the database connection
>details are different, or a required binary in a different location. The
>later can be caused if you are a migrating a web site between
>architectures or even versions of the same OS.
>
>George Patterson
>--
>http://csdn.auug.org.au/

That's why AUUG uses CVS to control the site content and has both a
stable and development website running on the same server.
http://w3.auug.org.au/ is the development website. If it runs on that:
cvs tag -F STABLE files, will shift it to the main webserver.
With the database backend staying the same.

It's not fool proof but it's a step in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Benjamin

--
3D Research Associate / System Administrator     +61 8 8302 3669
School of Computer and Information Science       Room D1-07, ML Campus

--
http://csdn.auug.org.au/