[cryptome] Re: [cryptography] What Is Good Encryption Software?

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 11:11:02 +0000

Hi Shaun,
Thoroughly enjoyed that Campbell presentation...Lots more stuff of similar ilk, on there too. Watched it on my new "Smart" television, hopefully shared it with the NSA and GCHQ... :)...Must remember to set up the privacy settings...on second thoughts, why bother... :-).
P.S. Haven't you finished those Bamford books yet?

On 29/11/14 12:03, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
Hi Douggie

...and for a little light entertainment from the very esteemed Duncan Campbell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDOtFZDm4F0

ATB

Shaun
On 29/11/2014 11:12, doug wrote:
Hi Shaun,

TPIM: Terrorism Prevention and Investigation Measures.

Tx for the urls and information, the first url is about a certain Queen's Counsel touting for more work as...if not the conscience of the nation...he is certainly the leader of the conscience of the nation (though in all modesty, he denies it). Apparently, he is an expert on such matters, as well as being independent, and a go-between, between the government and the committee...which he considers is the real conscience of the nation, in particular, the Baroness of The Shaws (ever read Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson?). All about protecting civil liberties and catching the terrorist...by creating, or adapting laws to restrict people's liberties without having to resort to the courts, and allowing for minimum suspicion and minimum review of the suspects case before it is decided or reviewed...in secret. Franz Kafka and "The Trial" resounds here. The second prong is about how to make it all cost effective. Apparently, the government got a pasting with its relocation orders under the old system and it is rumoured that it cost tens of millions of pounds in payouts to the suspected terrorists. One or two of the suspects went on the run, others went to the courts with a Q.C. now retired, representing them, having the temerity to complain about a breach of their family life. A very highly educated woman, with a very posh Cheltenham accent and very much an establishment lady of Cheltenham Ladies College, who, amongst other things, such as being Sartre's Waiter, was also an accomplished academic in the area of civil liberties, smashed huge holes in the previous Control Orders, via the courts. A very special lady, she even put some of the suspected terrorists up in her home, whilst the cases were being conducted. Just goes to show that one mans suspected terrorist is another woman's source of income...

Now that she has retired, the mice have come out to play and they (the Home Office and the Govt) are now trying to tidy up the legislation, narrow it down to those bits which have been approved by the courts. They aren't in a rush, but most of it has been thrashed out previously...see above. And they will probably pass it into law in the "clean up" (I have forgotten the name they use, but the same process was used under the last government to introduce the controversial aspects of the Copyright legislation) legislation, just before Parliament resigns in order to conduct a General Election in May 2015. Nuffink to worry about really. We have had worse, during the Irish problems, and at least we aren't as yet creating "H" blocks.

What is noticeable is that they wish to return to the relocation process which cost so much money. This is because they think that by moving the suspect away from home, he/she cannot contact their peers. And though they wish to protect the civil liberties of the nation, they have as yet, not understood, what it would be like to have a suspected terrorist living next door to one in a block of flats. With the residents thereof, not knowing of their background, just like they do for child molestors. Such a policy can be very dangerous and pose a real threat, as supervision is envisaged as an electronic tag and a piece of paper. Still, they might just decide to organise a shelter for them at No.12 Downing Street, or next to the Home Office...who knows...:-). The third prong is if or how they can prevent suspected terrorists who are British Subjects, from returning home, by detaining and questioning them or removing their passports, before or after leaving the terrorist war. And whether other countries might take up our example and start detaining British Subjects and taking away their passports in the name of terrorism...Difficult questions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gareth_Peirce

On 29/11/14 00:46, Shaun O'Connor wrote:
here goes Douggie

first is the committee report(pdf)

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/joint-committees/human-rights/Daivd_Anderson_Transcript_271114.pdf

and here is the info about the proposed  legislation in question.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/counterterrorismandsecurity.html

happy reading Douggie

ATB
Shaun

On 28/f11/2014 23:19, doug wrote:
Hi Shaun,
Care to expand...a url...perhaps. Stakeholders is certainly a Labour term...Blair and all that. The Tories using it sounds most...auger us.

Hi Douggie

Things are getting quite, erm interesting here in the uk, a piece of legislation is being rushed through our parliament, but heres the interesting bit although it is being rushed through it is not classified as urgent. also comments have been made to the effect that, for a draft bill. parts appear to be very well developed. even more intriguing is that this piece of proposed legislation dealing with widening powers perportedly in the name of counterterrorisim. appears to be supported by "stakeholders" a rather odd anomaly for a government bill supposedly drafted in conjunction with or on the advice of the UK security services. I think I have the pdf's somewhere both of the proposed bill, the explanatory notes and a draft committee meeting discussing the bill.

ATB

Shaun

--
*_PRIVACY IS A BASIC RIGHT - NOT A CONCESSION _* https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/when-time-comes-we-need-be-ready-fight-tpps-secret-anti-user-agenda