[cryptome] Re: [cryptography] What Is Good Encryption Software?

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 21:21:05 +0000

Hi Shaun,

Do you remember that US program encouraged by DARPA...TIA or Total Information Awareness? I thought that they had got rid of it, but I see that it is back again in a different form, but with a vengeance.

There is another cypher system where two or more identical books are used which are only known to the users as this information is exchanged previously using some other secure method, such as WOMB. Once this information is set up, then the users can communicate by using sentences or words from the book, i.e. (page) 6...(line) 10... (sentence) (word) 5 etc. Pretty foolproof but clumsy and requires recipients and senders to have a special relationship, like knowing and trusting one another. Once book is compromised the cryptography fails. If transmitted over the internet, suffers same problem as any other encryption sent over the internet. Ball squeezing, same problem. Mind you, using such a system might actually be more secure than any of those what we have at the moment...:-). I can see us having to educate internet users into Book Literacy. Read any good books lately...:-).

P.S.One Time Pad: Make sure that the password isn't longer than the message. It might be "perfect" cryptography, but it is subject to the same "metadata" problems...Is there an electronic version of a one time pad? If so, subject to operation security just the same as pgp etc.

P.P.S. I seem to remember that our current most favourite political asylumee, at present resident at the Ecaudorian Embassy in London, and living in the vain hope that the European Arrest Warrant might be overturned, invented a cryptographic system which he called "rubber hose", which apparently, like Truecrypt can hide itself within itself, so allowing plausible deniability... provided that another form of rubber hose aint used on the spherical objects...

On 28/11/14 20:44, Shaun O'Connor wrote:

On 28/11/2014 20:08,...but don't use it for long narrative and member...
1) don't use an electronic random number generator( much less an on-line one) dice are good. 2) ensure that, to the best of your ability , you are not being observed in the creation of said otp. 3) write on a single sheet resting on a hard surface( you don't want to leave tell-tale indentations lying about. 4) DO NOT use the same cypher key twice!!!( or should tat by number/letter sequence?)

for OTP to work effectivel there must be a high degree of trust between the parties involved. if you leave your pad so someone else can find it your fucked.
jd.cypherpunks@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Looking for
Perfect Cryptography: The One-Time Pad
http://www.cs.utsa.edu/~wagner/laws/pad.html <http://www.cs.utsa.edu/%7Ewagner/laws/pad.html>