[cryptome] UK Government Transparency & Investigatory Report

  • From: doug <douglasrankine2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 14:12:42 +0000

For legal computer forensic buffs and expert computer security scientists...and Alice, Bob & Eve...of course... :-). There are going to be huge changes in surveillance laws here in the UK over the next couple of years.

url: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/473603/51973_Cm_9151_Transparency_Accessible.pdf
Anderson Report url: https://terrorismlegislationreviewer.independent.gov.uk/

Enjoy our brave new democratic world, an open season on internet research, website visits, networking of all kinds, journalists, M.P.s. Doctors & Patient records, Finance & Business, revolutionaries, terrorists, dissidents, paedophiles, fraudsters, and criminals like dog owners who allow their animals to crap on the pavement...without picking it up...to name but a few of those people and relationships that will be affected. No content will be looked at, of course, unless by warrant.

The people of the UK will have the best surveillance oversight in the whole word...even better than the US, China, Russia, Egypt and North Korea...
I think we can safely say that concepts of individual privacy and secrecy for the masses has disappeared down the pan, flushed into the dustbin of history, whilst for the state and its civil servants it will be purely proportionate. General Warrants??? Don't make me laugh. And shouldn't it be that way?...

I think, already under RIPA (though it may be the computer misuse act) Any person witholding access to encryption for the purposes of being suspected of hiding a crime can already be fined or put in jail for refusing to divugle their pass phrases, giving access to the information which might incriminate them. No "I take the 5th" in the UK.
Enjoy...:-).
P.S. I think I will go away on holiday again...Much more fun working out the mathematics and putting up a spiral staircase in my French DIY project...No television, no internet, no telephone...no news...pity about the weather. Reading is good though, Imperium, Lustrum and Dictator by Richard Harris...Ancient Rome is so much like today... :-).