[cryptome] Re: Scaremongering or true?

  • From: "Gary L. Wallin" <garylwallin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 12:33:16 -0600

I think the news value is that people are being informed that this can be done and is being done.

I wish I could trust the Intelligence Agencies, Government, and Commercial interests to only use these techniques for good reason and to do no harm. But my trust has been broken by the failure of these players to be upfront and transparent about most of what they are actually doing.

Furthermore, I don't know if these techniques actually work any better than good old fashioned investigation and intelligence gathering. The power that is given by these means of surveillance may lead to grandiose delusions about the ability to gather, analyze, and use
information.

Where are the studies showing that this kind of surveillance is cost effective and superior to
historical methods? Are Government contractors just taking advantage of our
fears to implement all-invasive technology?   Who profits from these methods
of surveillance and how much are they paid?

Gary L. Wallin

On 1/15/2014 12:10 PM, Lucas Gonze wrote:
I don’t see the news value in this particular story. Of course having physical access to a system in order to install a USB key or an internal card allows it to be compromised. The radio part is a trivial afterthought.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 5:54 AM, <militarywritersassociation@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:militarywritersassociation@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    FYI: N.S.A. Devises Radio Pathway Into Computers

    http://militarywritersassociation.wordpress.com/

    Best regards,
    Ed Schroeder

    -----Original Message----- From: John Young
    Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:57 AM
    To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [cryptome] Re: Scaremongering or true?

    True. Orginal story at the New York Times based on probable
    Snowden material released by Der Spiegel and Jacob Appelbaum
    on 30 December 2013.

    http://cryptome.org/2014/01/nsa-quantum-radio.htm

    http://cryptome.org/2013/12/nsa-catalog.zip     (16.2MB)

    NYTimes is sitting on 58,000 Snowden files, and, like others
    have released very few:

    http://cryptome.org/2013/11/snowden-tally.htm

    This appears to be the deal adopted by Snowden hoarders,
    for now the Snowden drip has stopped completely. Not
    clear if the outlets have stopped the drip or Snowden has
    done it himself by wihholding crypto keys for gradual access.

    At 07:45 AM 1/15/2014, you wrote:

        Scaremongering or true?

http://www.voanews.com/content/report--us-spy-agency-infiltrates-personal-computers-worldwide/1830406.html

    ---
    This email is free from viruses and malware because avast!
    Antivirus protection is active.