[cryptome] Re: Scaremongering or true?

  • From: Jesse Taylor <jessetaylor84@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 23:52:51 -0800

Lucas --

Yes, it is true that it would not be particularly interesting if this
was just some story about a random cracker installing USB malware or a
keylogger into someone's laptop -- we all know that this is possible ...
but there is an enormous difference in your average crackers doing this
on a small scale, and what we are reading about the NSA doing:

(1) The NSA is intercepting hardware in the mail
<http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/29/5253226/nsa-cia-fbi-laptop-usb-plant-spy>
and installing malware there. This makes physical security much more
difficult than protecting your laptop/phone/hard-drive/etc. from a
person that would have to steal it from you or break into a building to
install malware.
(2) Most crackers don't realistically have the ability or funds to
engineer and produce large quantities of hardware malware and put them
in widespread use (i.e. on thousands of computers). The NSA does.
(3) Most crackers aren't killing, torturing and imprisoning people in
prison based on the intelligence they gather from hardware malware. The
U.S. government is.

That's why I personally feel that this information about the NSA
installing hardware malware on a large scale is newsworthy (especially
in context -- i.e. the fact that this is not happening in isolation),
whereas a story about "having physical access to a system in order to
install a USB key or an internal card allow[ing] it to be compromised"
would not be.

-- Jesse Taylor <http://www.interference.cc>