[cryptome] Re: Ask Zelda

  • From: Shaun O'Connor <capricorn8159@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cryptome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 13:15:22 +0100

Hi Dougie

Aldrich is on my reading list as well and has been for some time(just
haven't got round to acquiring the book yet)

With regard to windows/Linux etc. Microsoft have got their drily little
fingers on the Linux code and are reportedly contributing about two
thirds of the code to the core program.which ultimately means that
Microsoft will be pushing  the Linux platform into a proprietary status.
This will be a gradual process over time so that  it does not get
noticed by the majority of end users of Linux based software.

Bill Gates sidekick is reported to have said "Linux is a cancer that
must be strangled".
Increasingly when users buy ready made software they are basically
paying money to be told what they can and cannot do with their software(
and hardware too) it is that increasing restriction that open source
software eschews  and it is what corporate entities find irksome because
open source software puts control. and by extension responsibility right
into the lap of the ultimate user.( it is the control element of open
source that corporates do't like)

OK that was kind of sort of off topic but since you mentioned Ubuntu
somewhere and took time out to read up on Stallman. I thought I would
try in my feeble way to explain the difference between open source
versus proprietary software.

ATB

Shaun

PS
I also have a mobile phone which gets quite scant use and although it is
often left running is rarely in the same location as myself.