Re: hi

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2014 12:13:41 +0200

This interview pisses me off so much:
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/mar/18/combofiend-feels-strong-footsie-players-will-excel-usf4-due-delayed-wake-peter-talks-development-process-and-his-beginnings-capcom/

"In Japan they play a different style of Street Fighter. In Japan they've
> learned how to play the one-player game, where they learn all these
> set-ups, the frame advantage and they have a real scientific approach to
> the game. At the expert level they learn to the point where it's in essence
> a one-player game. If you watch a lot of the higher-level players, they can
> pretty much dominate the game off one knockdown and you just watch and die."
>
> Peter goes on to explain that players in the West tend to take the human
> aspect of the game into account more often. "There's been a higher emphasis
> on the human element. People want to play against the person. They use the
> tools in the game, but how do you outsmart the guy? How do you constantly
> best your opponent? And how do you let them know you are indeed the
> superior fighter? That's always been the idea in the West."

Japan beats USA at SSFIV.  End of story.  It doesn't matter who takes what
aspect of the game into account.  The better players win in general.  To
use this as an excuse for delayed wake up is asinine.  The US players have
the access to the same tools and setups.  And it's not like they don't use
it.

Of the agreed upon changes being made in Ultra Street Fighter 4, *ComboFiend
> feels that there is one addition that will have the largest impact on the
> game, but is currently flying under the radar*. Rosas declares that
> delayed wake-up will transform Street Fighter 4's "knockdown-heavy" focus
> to that of a game where the fundamentally sound excel.
>
> "And this also makes it so that there's a higher emphasis on the standing
> game. So when you play somebody who has a better fundamental game, where
> they play footsies, I think those guys will do a lot better this time
> around because there's less emphasis on the knockdown."

Flying under the radar!?  People have been complaining about it since
BEFORE it was announced!  It was probably THE dumbest mechanic that they
could add to the game.  The last thing this game needed was another
defensive option.  This does absolutely nothing to enhance grounded
offensive oki (it weakens it) and it destroys x-up oki.  Say goodbye to
stuff like meaty fireball traps as well (something that has been part of SF
since SFII).  And it's like Combofiend conveniently forgot that in 90% of
cases you need good footsies to score that knockdown in the first place
except if your name is maybe Cammy (random arrow) or Seth (random Tanden).
They should have just taken Sako's advice - reduce the frame advantage
after hardknockdowns, or maybe make throws result in air resets (like
teching in ST) rather than knockdowns.  DWU is a stupid and lazy workaround.

And who cares about the standing game in SFIV when every 90% of the
characters like they're being dragged through molasses when they traverse
the screen and the stages are 10 football fields wide?  All you're going to
have to is more keep away, not more footsies.  Who does this benefit
mostly?  Characters like Boxer, Honda and Guile who incidentally are repped
by 3 american players at the highest level.  It's no coincidence that
Dieminion thinks an American might take EVO this year...

On another note, this looks cool, but Guile should have had this since
Vanilla:
http://www.eventhubs.com/images/2014/mar/18/decapre-ultra-street-fighter-4-animated-gif-4/

Flash Kick FADC Air Throw