Re: DRE: CTS community mail

  • From: Ilitirit Sama <ilitirit@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cpt-fgc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 01:05:46 +0200

I agree with Mike Z on throw teching in GG:

> Throws in Guilty Gear are incredibly good.  I'm fine with that.  The throw
> tech window in GGAC+R was about 2 frames, too difficult to do on reaction.
> I'm fine with that too, because having techs actually handled the case
> where both characters input a throw on the same frame by returning them to
> neutral.  Now, you both get 6H/4H or your option-selected other normal, so
> one character will win and one will lose, which does not accurately reflect
> the fact that both players went for a throw *and both were able to throw*.

http://mikezsez.blogspot.com/2015/01/why-im-not-playing-ggxrd.html

In ST and VS if both characters throw on the same frame it's also random,
but because the nature of how teching works, the loser usually techs out
automatically and suffers less damage (unless it was a grapple like
Blanka's bite).

In GG, it's completely random and can lead to OTG combos.

What I don't understand is how he can be against OS, but for 1-button
throws which are inherently Option Selects.  I believe that throws should
be a conscious, intentional move.  I don't care if they are zero frame, but
if you go for a throw and miss, you should be left in a punishable state
just like any other move.  1-button throws aren't a major issue on their
own, but in a game where 50-50 situations are so common, I think untechable
OS'd throws that lead to combos and then oki isn't a good design choice.