Re: [cpsig] Re: CPR vs Soo Maroon

  • From: "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 07:31:44 -0700

Pierre wrote:

Years ago I painted a Stewart F-7 Soo Line Maroon using Accupaint tuscan red and grey primer. I must have put 5 or 6 coats. the maroon came out a rich colour with depth and richness that drew very positive comments. It is still great even after 10 years.

That was the loco the hobby shop owner wanted to show in his window.

It strikes me this is an important observation for CPR Tuscan red/maroon. The actual paint used by the CPR is somewhat transparent - a thick blob of it still allows light to pass through. So part of the sense of the colour our eyes pick up is created by how light moves through the paint surface, reflects off of the underlying material and then back out to the viewer's eyes. Of course this is much more difficult to duplicate with model paint thickness and lighting, but layering coats - perhaps even with some clear coat mixed in to to the paint to increase transparency - is an idea I might try next time.

Rob Kirkham