Re: [cpsig] Re: CPR vs Soo Maroon

  • From: "Rob Kirkham" <rdkirkham@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:30:31 -0700

The trouble with trying to mix blue and red is picking the right blue and the right red. These colours are not just linear, with red at one end of the continuum, blue at the other and CPR red somewhere in between. Not only are there multiple hues that theoretically mix to different purples or maroons or browns, the pigments in paint don't follow the rules as obviously as when light is mixed to make colours on your computer. As a guy who dabbles in artists colours, it is crucial to start a mix knowing how the various pigments react with each other - you can easily produce a ghastly greenish shade of brown. Since model paints are usually not pure pigment colours (they are mixed from various pigments) it will be highly unpredictable and you'll buy a lot of those little bottles before you find an acceptable combination - assuming it is even possible with colours on the market. Personally, I doubt there is a true red and a true blue presently sold that will mix to a CPR maroon colour. In my view, it is easier to start close and then try tweaking it.

Rob Kirkham