Re: [cpsig] Gyrolights (was Re: Domes and icicle breaker cars)

  • From: "K V Railway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 11:14:56 -0800

Based on personal experience, I absolutely disagree about gyro lights being preferable to properly installed ditch lights. I rode the BC Rail Budd cars at night when they still had exactly the same gyro light as was installed on the CPR Budds. If I were an engineman, I'd much prefer the ditch lights, especially if it was the six-light arrangement BC Rail had. That would be most especially the case in the mountains. The BCR ditch light arrangement was awesome, especially in those tight curves along Howe Sound. When it comes to 'what's better' ... I think it quickly becomes a matter of personal preferences in these sorts of issues.

If I remember correctly, gyra lights or whatever they were, on the CPR Budd cars got their first CPR start on the southern BC run between Nelson, BC, and Vancouver, BC. That was in part because of the bad terrain and because of the bombings of CPR track, bridges and structures carried out by the Sons of Freedom. That was 1958, three years after the Canadian.

Joe Smuin

Ironically, it was a derailment involving one or more fatalities on our Thompson Sub that set the wheels in motion to equip and require ditch lights on all frt trains throughout the continent, and the current FRA regulation (law). IMO, based on substantial experience, that they needed only to expand the use of gyro lights.

And, FWIW, it isn't prudent to rely on train registers at / from intermediate stations for the purpose of eng consists because in many if not most such cases only the leading unit is recorded (registered). Train registers at terminal stations USUALLY have complete eng consists; a notable exception being trains with so many units as to render inadequate space to register them all -- a daily occurrence [at one time] in the Montreal area where some of our RDC commuter trains consisted of nine or more units.

VRP