Re: [cpsig] Gyrolights (was Re: Domes and icicle breaker cars)

  • From: "K V Railway" <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:39:57 -0800

Hi Vic:

BC Rail had 6 lights up front from the late 70s until the new GE stuff started showing up. Funny how you forget things, but I don't remember the newest power at BCR having six lights. I'll have to check that. But anyway, the VP of Operations and Mechanical in the late 70s took a ride one night and wasn't happy with the experience. When he was finished, the road power all had four ditch lights to keep the two regular headlights company. It was quite a sight at night, especially watching them come around the curves along Howe Sound. The Budd Cars were also fitted accordingly, four ditch lights down low.

Joe

-----Original Message----- From: crip1978
Sent: Monday, November 29, 2010 1:17 PM
To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [cpsig] Gyrolights (was Re: Domes and icicle breaker cars)

Off list, Joe...
I concur with what you say about personal preferences as between gyro lights and ditch lights. Also, I've never seen the six light array you mention, probably with high pwr 32V. (Where are these used?) My comparison was between the typical pair of ditch lights (however installed / aimed) and the typical front mounted gyro lights, also however mounted / installed.

You might be interested that what we know as ditch lights are indeed headlights on electric MU eqpmnt in the US now, in electrified territories. MNR (former NYNH&H and NYC lines), NJT (PRR and DL&W lines), LIRR, METRA (IC lines), and probably CSS&SB lines, whatever they call themselves today. Likely also SEPTA (PRR and RDG lines), MARC [Maryland Area Rail Commuter] (PRR and B&O lines), et cetera! Notably that's not the case in Canada, at least Eastern Canada (GO) and the Montreal commuters, whatever they call themselves these days.

Vic

--- In cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "K V Railway" <kvrailway@...> wrote:

Based on personal experience, I absolutely disagree about gyro lights being
preferable to properly installed ditch lights. I rode the BC Rail Budd cars
at night when they still had exactly the same gyro light as was installed on
the CPR Budds.  If I were an engineman, I'd much prefer the ditch lights,
especially if it was the six-light arrangement BC Rail had.  That would be
most especially the case in the mountains. The BCR ditch light arrangement
was awesome, especially in those tight curves along Howe Sound.  When it
comes to 'what's better' ... I think it quickly becomes a matter of personal
preferences in these sorts of issues.

If I remember correctly, gyra lights or whatever they were, on the CPR Budd
cars got their first CPR start on the southern BC run between Nelson, BC,
and Vancouver, BC. That was in part because of the bad terrain and because
of the bombings of CPR track, bridges and structures carried out by the Sons
of Freedom.  That was 1958, three years after the Canadian.

Joe Smuin