Re: RE: [cpsig] HO Intermountain CPR FP7 and F7B

  • From: KVRailway <kvrailway@xxxxxxx>
  • To: cpsig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:13:43 -0700

All true enough, but I'll still betcha that if we knew the facts in this case, it still boils down to a very small Canadian market. I think you're missing the mark on the washing machine illustration, though. Canadians pay very much higher taxes on goods than do Americans and thus enjoy publically funded medicare, amongst other things, which Americans don't. Hence, right off the bat, we have a big price differential just because of taxes. There is the matter of currency exchange rates and also don't forget that the retail system is rigged so that the bigger markets get better breaks from the manufacturers than do the smaller markets. Above all, I'll bet that if the sales ratio for CP-CN plastic models here in Canada was on the same ratio per capita in the UK that the Brits would be suffering considerably less satisfaction. And again I say, the Brits are a bit paranoid about this sort of thing - North Americans are less fussy on the whole and will still buy the stuff where the Brits may be considerably less likely to buy anything that isn't "just right." On second thought - that may be the nub of the difference right there.

Joe Smuin

----- Original Message ----- From: "Roger T." <rogertra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>