[CTS] Re: Windows xp

  • From: cuffy10 <cuffy10@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 07:16:24 -0700

http://wipe.sourceforge.net/
Wipe will clean the drive.
Use your Win98 boot floppy to boot the machine then run Wipe.
The XP update probably boots from the CD....... I have never run it ??
If it's an update you will probably need the Win98 CD to prove ownership of the prior version/

I'm not familiar with the damage done by sasser but a wipe hardly seems necessary.
I think I would try booting with the boot floppy.
Run FDisk and blow away any partitions
Format
Run FDisk again and set up partitions
Set C: active
Format the new partitions  if necessary...... The XP install may do that for you ??
Install XP
keep the Win98 CD handy to prove ownership !

Pam wrote:
   I have been trying to format my hard drive but it doesn't seem to actually wipe every thing out. I have windows 98 as a base and win xp as a update. Would some one please take the time to walk me through this process. I have gone to several sites and Microsoft.com but still can seem to acheive the results i want

I want to format the drive because i have gotten the sasser virus, and the computer keep hanging up on me, I have tried all sorts of fixes and nothing solves the problem.

Any thoughts

Pam bundy

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.323 / Virus Database: 267.8.12/46 - Release Date: 7/11/05

GIF image