[CTS] Re: Windows xp

  • From: Hal Brown <hdbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 10:12:21 -0400

Here are the steps to do what you want:

1. Create a boot disk in Win 98 / this is a floppy disk

2. Put it in the floppy drive and reboot

3. When you get to a A:\ prompt...

4. Type format C: /u

5. This will wipe out everything on the drive

6. Once is is finished, remove the floppy disk, insert the XP CD into the
drive and reboot again

7. If it doesn't boot from the CD, then you may have to go into the BIOS and
set the boot order for the drives - but it should boot unless the computer is
really old.

8. From here on out, follow the prompts to install XP

9. The are more esoteric things you can do, but this is the fundamental
procedure.

Hal

--
Hal Brown

"Sharks are as tough as those football fans who take their shirts off during
games in Chicago in January, only more intelligent."
 - Dave Barry

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm