[CTS] Re: W2k search

  • From: "Howarth, Stasy" <showarth@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:56:10 -0400

Dear Charles and Russ:

Thanks for answers, but I'm not sure you're understanding the main frustration.

I could search for a file that I can see on my desktop, behind the search
window, and search will not find it. It seems search cannot find anything on the
computer system. The search string *.pst was met with no files listed, even tho
I knew for sure there had to be at least one, since a contact database is
maintained in outlook.  I did eventually find it manually  after it ocurred to
me to tell it to show me system (hidden) files.

I had to create a new fax page and remembered a folder filled with files called
customerx_fax.doc. I couldn't remember where that folder was, so I searched for
it. The search function found no files to list. When I eventually found the
folder again manually, there were over a dozen files all of which had the word
fax in the document name.

As I said before, I checked a box to enable the indexing feature. But search
still can't find any file on the system.

Is this a bug? (Oh, I forgot, it's MS, "It's not a bug, it's a FEATURE") Does it
indicate a bad install? Have they changed the way you use search in w2k? Do I
have to enable something? Is anyone aware of something else that conflicts with
search's ability to actually do it's job? Is the w2k search function programmed
not to find hidden/system files, even if they are visible?

What am I missing here? Every time I used search this week, I felt the same as I
did 9/11/01 -- this just isn't possible.

Btw, Russ, thanks for the tidbits in your last email. It's gonna take me a while
before I have time to find out much about the network. The sysadmin comes in on
an irregular basis and I'm putting in 10 hour days just to gain control over my
job functions. I know all the computers are hooked up to the T1 line. (Gosh
that's fun to have access to) However, I'm not sure that all the computers are
networked to each other. I've got to sneakernet files to my boss. Hey, it was my
first week. The way things look, around January I'll maybe have time to read the
w2k book I noticed on a shelf. Til then, trial and error. I love the job, but
due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, I've walked into chaos central. I
went in Monday morning for an interview and was at my new desk half an hour
later.

As always, I'm thankful I found this wonderful list, populated by sharing and
caring folks.

Be well,

Stasy

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://szaroconsulting.com/cts/list_options.htm