[CTS] Re: W2k search

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:30:00 -0500

Actually the GUI of 2k is closest to 98 Se but yes there are differences,
like user directories for the settings of each - and if you log onto the
local computer, say it's named WS003, as say username Stacey, you'd have a
sub folder named Stacey. Then if you login the to domain, say COMPANY.COM,
as Stacey, there is another folder named stacey.company.com (or stacey.local
if it's not on the internet) - some takes getting used to - some is better,
other is just fluff and could be done away with. In business the separated
user folders work out nicely for machines that people on different shifts
use, to keep them from F'in with other's work and settings. Also the
inability to run installations for certain users has made things nicer for
system administrators, whether they run a bunch ona network or a bunch of
stand alone machines., or a mix. I have customers that want certain areas
off of the network completely for seccurity or other reasons so they are
nic-less and I have to upgrade them at the local computer admin level, one
at a time.