[CTS] Re: Harry Potter Screensaver

  • From: "Tina" <chapman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:13:44 -0500

I've seen lots of kids read Harry Potter books.  Hell, Tyler read "The Firm" by
John Grisham in the 5th grade.  He's not much into reading, but in the schools
here, (and I'm sure all around the US) there use the "Accelerated Reader
Program".  Kid reads a book, takes a (computer) test, gains points.

Last school year, (at Tyler's school) each 7th grade student had to have 21
points per quarter.  Some books are worth more than others and they can't get
books that are below their reading grade.  I think this coming year (8th grade)
he will have to have 26 points per quarter.  Books range in point value from
0.5 up.  If they get more than the necessary points per quarter, they are just
considered "Bonus Points" and they still must get the required amount, or more,
(starting from zero) for the next quarter.

Here is Tyler's school's website and a listing of the AR books that are
available (and what the tests are worth) http://www.st-ann.com/ar_books.htm  I
still have about 700 more books to add to this listing on the website.  The
listing includes books that are at his school and at the local library, also a
parent can look at this list and buy books at Amazon, Barnes & Nobles, etc.
child can read it and take the test.  As long as the book is on this list,
there is a (computer) test available at his school.  The computer grades the
test the student has taken and records it for a grade printout.

It has to be constantly updated, because movies *are* released.  When a movie
is released that is also a book on this list, the computer tests are removed.

In the 21 points (or what ever the point requirement is per grade) *per*
quarter, at least one book has to be a "Non-Fiction".

And you would be surprised how many kids actually *do* read Harry Potter books.
 The books were out quite awhile before any of the videos were released, so
they *had* to read the books to know what all the hoopla was about before the
movies came out.

I'm an avid reader, always have been.  I was reading books like "The Bobbsey
Twins" before I ever went to school.  I got the love of reading from my
parents... wish Tyler had got more of it from me! LOL

Tee