[CTS] Re: DSL Modem

  • From: "Russ Blakeman" <rhb57@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 15:57:37 -0500

Most DSL modems come with either RJ45 or USB and RJ45 - very few have only
USB that I've seen. I no longer muddle with routers unless
absol-friggin-lutely needed as I can set up a machine with 2 NICs or one
with USB from the cable modem and another NIC that goes to the network, and
share the USB or first NIC that ties to the DSL modem under W2k or XP (not
sure if it works right under ME or 98SE, those I go the way you're doing it
or use sharing software).

Linksys has always put out a decent network item no matter what it might be.
My wireless bridge is a Linksys and is flawless now that I put my own
personal 25db dish on it instead of the WISP's flakey little 8" flat panel
antenna of around 8db. I'm only line-of-sight 4 blocks from the repeater but
you know how thick the trees in the midwest/south can get - they block and
reduce the signal so the collector/parabolic dish was the only fix - and the
dufus WISP wouldn't do it and I'm not going back to dialup and try to run a
business. DSL and cable are in the works here but still a month away.

---

RB Custom Services is growing!
See our website at http://www.rbcs.8m.com - in rework but changing daily

Un-subscribe/Vacation, http://listoptions.computertalkshop.com