[COMP] Re: can i share only some?

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:47:24 -0500

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, you wrote:
> Thanks John,
> Now what is the SMB name described below?

SMB = server message block.  One of the most disgusting protocols known to man.
 However, windows file/print sharing and Samba's integration with it uses SMB,
so we have to deal with it...

 >  > And can I change the computer name or not? Probably not...

Yep, unless they say no or something, in which case, they're dorks, so give em
a big slap for me.

> As I understand it the DCHP server from @home is gonna assign me the IP
> according to what matches my pre assigned computer name....
> e.g.my box sends out: hey computer name 'blah blah' here signing on....Is
> there a DHCP server anywhere here....and if so can you give me an IP??

Close, but not quite. :)  Your computer name is only really used for browsing
in Network Neighborhood and other clients.  It's really your IP address that
matters most.  As for the DHCP thing, it's the hardware address of your network
card that gets you an IP from the server.

> <<> All three have the same workgroup assigned by @home (or is this suggested
> by
> > @home for newbies?)
>
> The latter.  You can name your workgroup whatever you like,>>
>
> So I can have more than one workgroup? or...do I have to have @home be the
> workgroup to get internet access?

Yes and no-- your workgroup has nothing to do with internet access.  In fact,
the two are associated with different networking protocols.

> >> unless you for some
> reason have to log into an NT domain, which would be insane. :)>>
>
> I think @home uses a Unix server cause I see unix commands in there
> stuff....dont understand all I know about some of this.

What commands would those be? :)

> I think I can slap another nic in and have that nic be in charge of an
> workgroup just for my in house lan...
> Hey? can I just disable file and printer sharing on the nic that talks to the
> internet and enable file printer sharing on another nic for my internal lan?

That'd be pretty much the same as a firewall or proxy, if this machine serves
to isolate the others on your network from the internet while still providing
them access.  However, I'm not sure if windows will allow you to do this.

 > Or is the IP address I show the world just gonna let everyone in or
everyone
> out and not let me choose what I want to show?

It depends on what you're running.  In general, you shouldn't ever share
anything you don't want others to know you're sharing.  And really, you
shouldn't ever have anything shared without a password (even if I can't *see*
you, I can access your shares).

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA