[COMP] Re: can i share only some?

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 21:05:21 -0500

> My home lan is up running 3 peer to peer machines, all 98se for now.
> I have @home cable with a 2 ip- 1 for me, and 1 for my Dad. The 3rd machine
> has no internet access yet. The cable modem is going into a 10mbs hub and
> both of the faster machines have different computer names (well one is
> xxxxxxx-a and the other is xxxxxx-b  this is DNS?? )

Probably not DNS.  If it's in that "Identification" tab, it's just the SMB name
of the machine.  DNS naming is something your ISP has to provide you with.

> All three have the same workgroup assigned by @home (or is this suggested by
> @home for newbies?)

The latter.  You can name your workgroup whatever you like, unless you for some
reason have to log into an NT domain, which would be insane. :)

> I have file printer shareing enabled on all 3 machines and all 3 can see each
> other and transfer files. This part I'm okay with-
>
> Can I share only between my machines and not to the whole world?
> Do I have to run NT or can i just setup one machine as a server or sorts?
> {John I know linux can do it and I am gonna get to that <g> I wanna be able
> to do it in windoze first }

You can access those shares from anywhere in the world by using the IP address
of the machine you're connecting to.

> I could do a bunch of things...winproxy, second nic in one machine and
> crossover cable...I do have a second hub which is 100 only (not dual speed-
> had to go out and buy a cheap 10speed hub to get online thru the hub) >
> How do I share between my lan and not the whole world- under windoze do I
> have to share everything or nothing? Can I share one way?

Ok, unless NT has some means of limiting it (I don't think windows can do it
at all), you can't block your shares by the connecting machine's hostname/ip.
Samba under linux explicitly allows this.  Of course, under Linux, there are a
lot of ways of doing this aside from Samba, but I'm wandering.. :)  The only
way you could do it right now would be to put your machines behind a
firewall/proxy.

John

--
# John Madden  weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx ICQ: 2EB9EA