[COMP] Re: can i share only some?

  • To: computers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:40:22 EDT

Thanks John,
Now what is the SMB name described below?

And can I change the computer name or not? Probably not...

As I understand it the DCHP server from @home is gonna assign me the IP
according to what matches my pre assigned computer name....
e.g.my box sends out: hey computer name 'blah blah' here signing on....Is
there a DHCP server anywhere here....and if so can you give me an IP??

In a message dated 4/18/00 10:15:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
weez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

 <<Probably not DNS.  If it's in that "Identification" tab, it's just the SMB
name
 of the machine.  DNS naming is something your ISP has to provide you with. >>

weez also wrote:
<<> All three have the same workgroup assigned by @home (or is this suggested
by
> @home for newbies?)

The latter.  You can name your workgroup whatever you like,>>

So I can have more than one workgroup? or...do I have to have @home be the
workgroup to get internet access?

weez also wrote:
>> unless you for some
reason have to log into an NT domain, which would be insane. :)>>

I think @home uses a Unix server cause I see unix commands in there
stuff....dont understand all I know about some of this.

I think I can slap another nic in and have that nic be in charge of an
workgroup just for my in house lan...
Hey? can I just disable file and printer sharing on the nic that talks to the
internet and enable file printer sharing on another nic for my internal lan?
Or is the IP address I show the world just gonna let everyone in or everyone
out and not let me choose what I want to show?
David

Get computer help: http://avenir.dhs.org