[CoMoDev] Garbage collection

  • From: "Andrei P." <andreip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:43:03 -0600

Hi Everybody,

After all the organizational discussions I'd like to start a deeply
technical one :)

Testing my C# Pocket PC app I noticed that sometimes it hangs for a few
seconds and then continue. I can explain if it's happening during a big form
If it's the garbage collector taking CPU cycles ..., I thought it runs on
lower priority thread unless I'm running out of memory, which seems to be
impossible in my case: 300kb app in 40mb+ of free RAM (so I'm always having
32mb slot in my disposal).
What could it be?
Of course there is a possibility of connected hardware issues, but I'm not
sure.

The app is heavily multithreaded. The reasons: UI responsiveness, monitoring
socket timeouts, 3rd party component create events on separate threads. So I
can't get rid of them, even in part.
Could GC get equal or higher priority for thread disposing?

I noticed similar behavior in Java on embedded Linux device. That enforced
my suspicion about GC.

Does anybody deliberately run GC? When?

Any opinions?

Andrei