[CoMoDev] Re: Garbage collection

  • From: "dick_grier Grier" <dick_grier@xxxxxxx>
  • To: comodev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 13:17:06 -0600

Hi Andrei,

Could GC get equal or higher priority for thread disposing
<<

Yes, this is possible. I think GC monitoring runs at a low priority, but when the actual GC kicks in to recover memory, it runs at a higher priority. I'm not sure the actual algorithm, but I think it determines when to run as a percentage of memory that your app uses approaches a threshold based on the application size, not on the total free memory (not best!).

AFAIK, the GC changes substantially for the better in Visual Studio 2005 and the Compact Framework 2.0. This also allows the user (you) to control aspects of GC operation to optimize this behavior on an app-by-app basis.

Dick

Richard Grier (Microsoft MVP - Visual Basic)
Hard & Software
12962 West Louisiana Avenue
Lakewood, CO  80228
303-986-2179 (voice)
303-593-9315 (fax)

Author of Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 4th Edition ISBN 1-890422-28-2 (391 pages) published July 2004. For faster service, contact the publisher at http://www.mabry.com/vbpgser4.