[citw150] CITW150 L6 Q6

  • From: Anne Phuong Nguyen <annephuongnguyen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: citw150@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 16:54:56 -0800 (PST)

Following are what I learned about telnet?s current status at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TELNET#Current_status:
  -         While the TELNET protocol itself has been mostly superseded, the
TELNET clients are still used to manually "talk" to other services. It is
sometimes used in debugging network services such as an SMTP or HTTP server, by
serving as a simple way to send commands to the server and examine the
protocol well enough.
  -         TELNET is still very popular in enterprise networks to access host
applications, i.e. on IBM Mainframes.
  -         TELNET is also heavily used for MUD games played over the Internet,
as well as talkers, MUSH es, MUCKs and MOOes. By using image-to-ASCII
algorithms, it can also be used for primitive "video" streaming. Recently,
ASCII-WM offered live broadcasts of the 2006 World Cup.

  I practiced telnet on the Library of Congress Information System
(telnet://140.147.254.3).  I learned that when keyed in, the number for the
choice would not appear on the screen!!!  I really had problems with it when I
first tried to do this assignment at home; I thought there was something wrong
with my computer!  Thanks to Rebecca for explaining that to me.
  Anne P. Nguyen

Sponsored Link

$420,000 Mortgage for $1,399/month -   Think You Pay Too Much For Your
Mortgage? Find Out!