[ciphershed] Re: Transparency

  • From: "Alain Forget" <aforget@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 08:40:25 -0400

Excellent points. So this is forking into two (somewhat related) discussions
which perhaps should be considered separately: What policy we should adopt for
relations with external parties (which I'll call "public relations" for
simplicity), and our decision-making process going forward (which is what the
Apache model mostly covers).

Regarding public relations (PR), if we don't chose to institute a PMC identical
to the Apache model (who I suppose I'd assumed at least a subset of which will
also be the PR people), then I definitely agree with Niklas that, " [...] the
PR people can only speak for their understanding of the group, not for the
group itself. Nor can they take any decisions concerning the project on their
own." However, to be clear, if we do go with an Apache-identical PMC, then by
definition, they *do* make decisions concerning the project on their own,
because they were elected to do so.

Addressing our decision-making, I agree with Niklas that consensus-based
decision-making has been working out fabulously for us thus far. My concern
with our decision-making is perhaps longer-term; as our community grows and
more people get involved, there are some things that remain unclear to me:

1) Should some people who have been involved and contributed more to the
project be (explicitly) be given more weight to their voices? This has inherent
pros (they are trusted and are perhaps more like to "stay the course" of the
project's vision and goals) and cons (fresher perspectives from newer are given
lower value, perhaps undeservedly, and this may create some form of "elitism"
in the older community members). If this is something we want, should we simply
try to keep this organic, or should we explicitly elect and publish said
persons into a PMC?

2) Since anyone can join the IRC and public mailing list, it is (perhaps?)
inevitable that there will be some people who will join that will certainly
offer opinions and perspectives, but these may turn out to be more destructive
than constructive. Even in these early days, there have already been some of
this (although fortunately not yet on this mailing list). With a PMC, the
developer and wider community can elect decision-makers to the PMC that they
trust to represent their interests, so that developers can focus on what they
want to do without having to worry/be distracted with every little wider issue
that comes up, and the PMC is less likely to be distracted by destructive
personalities (who I am assuming are very unlikely to be sufficiently supported
to be voted into the PMC). We would need to closely iron out details to ensure
the necessary accountability so that the PMC doesn't become some group-thinky
"old boys' club".

3) Regarding Niklas' comment, "I don't think this discussion should be viewed
as something bad
or annoying," I wholeheartedly agree (and I see these as crucial and
fascinating discussions). However, if there are some (many) members of the
community who *do* find this discussion bad and annoying, then I may consider
that an excellent reason we should form a PMC, so that said people can be
spared these kind of organisational-type discussions, and those of us who value
them may continue without bothering the other valuable members of the community.

These points, in addition to Niklas' other points (avoiding paralysis in
consensus-based decision-making vs. Apache-PMC decision-making) are to consider
and definitely discuss. However, I feel that it would be easier to build an
Apache-PMC now, before there is some largely divisive issue, than remain
consensus-based until we get paralysed and then feel we "need" a PMC, since at
this point, I fear the PMC will be much more difficult to form and its forming
will be largely muddied by the largely divisive/paralysing issue. I fear it
would be a huge mess and biased-process to build a PMC under those
circumstances.

Alain