[ciphershed] Re: Transparency

  • From: "Alain Forget" <aforget@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ciphershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 14:00:52 -0400

Hm, this is an excellent point, to which I can think of two possible solutions:

A) We somehow come to a consensus as to precisely what "tipping point" the
community should become involved in any informal discussions any member of the
CipherShed community is having with other parties. This tipping point could be:
Ai) Immediately; we tell the other party to post on our mailing list to ensure
everyone is always included, and that there is an open and archived record of
everything for all to see.
Aii) Only once the CipherShed member feels there is alignment and/or an actual
potential impact to the project (rather than just talk). This is the fuzziest
(most open to said member's judgement), and thus could still be problematic in
the future.
Aiii) Only once there is a firm proposal by the CipherShed member and the other
party (although the CipherShed member doesn't necessarily need to endorse the
proposal, but at least share it with the community to solicit responses).

B) We appoint 1-3 people as points of contact for these matters, as a
spokeperson, public relations, or whatever title as the point of contact. Any
other community member who is contacted by outside parties should route said
party to these PR people. If there are more than one PR person, they should
*all* be involved in any discussions with outside parties. These people should
have a deep understanding of the project and community goals (and keep in close
tune with them as it evolves), be able to articulate them, and regardless of
their own personal viewpoint, they should be able to anticipate the community's
response to particular proposals by outside parties when interacting with them,
so that the community needn't be consulted on every little thing, which has the
added benefit of allowing devs and others to focus on furthering CipherShed
without these discussion distractions, until they become very relevant and may
bear some fruit. Obviously, the community must trust these people to represent
the community accurately and as unbiased as possible, and to give outside
parties a good impression of our community/project.

Thoughts?

Alain