[chaoscope] Re: wish list (shortcuts)

  • From: Chaoscope <chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:00:45 +0100

Hi Dan, hello all,

You could just have users map their own shortcut keys.  I'm not
exactly a programming aficionado, so I wouldn't know how much
time/energy/coffee you would have to put into something like this.

Not a lot of energy but a whole lot of time as this is my preferred time/energy ratio. :-)
We had this discussion before François and me about customizable shortcuts, I have a hard time seeing how it can improve a UI, all it probably would do is making user support harder since every user could virtually have a different set of shortcuts. Then again I could be wrong.

Speaking of which, what exactly is Chaoscope programmed in?  Is the
source freely available?

Chaoscope is programmed in bad C++, with a pinch of C and a sprinkle of assembly language. I use Borland C++ Builder 4.0 Professional Edition. I tried the latest version (6.0) of their IDE but it was crashing too often for some reason.
Borland focused on fast build times rather than fast execution time; the compiler doesn't produce MMX/SSEx instructions, therefore Chaoscope is currently relatively slower than it should be.

The source code will eventually be freely available, probably under GPL, once I've reached version 1.0. I want to make the source code as well documented as the program itself.

Anyway I've uploaded a new animation for your viewing pleasure. You'll find it there:

http://media.putfile.com/no_logo_plasma/640 (Quicktime 5.88Mb)

It's a rotation of "No Logo", a Pickover rendered in Plasma which you can see in the online gallery. It shows how Plasma is transparent on nearby points and how it becomes more opaque as the distance between points increases.

Nicolas Desprez