[chaoscope] Re: Posting pics, solid mode colors, self-made formulas

  • From: "Paul N. Lee" <Paul.N.Lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chaoscope@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:49:00 -0500

Chaoscope wrote:

> All attachments, including images, are

> limited to 150Kb in size (it is mentioned

> in your welcome email).  This is to ensure

> subscribers mailboxes won't be stuffed

> with very large emails.  Your image was

> only twice the allowed size.

Everyone must remember, when a binary type file is attached to an email,
the Encoding will add about 35 percent to the attachment's size.  For
example, a recent JPEG image posted to Fractal-World was 137,742 bytes
as a normal image file.  But when sent through email, the encoding
increased that to 186,716 bytes.

Plus, within the actual BODY of the email, there was only one small
sentence of only 31 bytes in size.  But once all of the other text of
the email got added (mostly HEADER information), that made it total to
3,932 bytes.  Making the whole email around 190,648 bytes.

And this was only a TEXT message.  If it had been an HTML (or Rich-Text)
type email, then this portion would have tripled in size, due to the
duplication as a MIXED format, and the added coding.

So it is best to keep any attached images to probably around 100-KB to
110-KB in size to make sure they go through.

> Self-made formulas (equation editor)

> is a long way away.  An equation plugin

> SDK will be introduced first, although

> I don't know when yet.  It will be

> intended for hardcore users with a bit

> of programming experience.  (i.e. you

> will need a C compiler of some sort)

I realize this is far in the future, but will this be in the form of
creating Dynamic Link Library (DLL) files to be used by Chaoscope??  If
so, I assume most any programming language capable of producing such an
executable would be acceptable.

Just curious as to what you had in mind.

Sincerely,
P.N.L.