[cdvdburn] Re: Help required to get started with DVD RAM

  • From: Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 10:32:01 +0100

Please do not cross-mail to different mailing-lists as often members
of one list cannot access another and it is easy to reply without
trimming the To:.

Iyonix-Support would not appropriate for this question as it relates
to something (DVD-RAM writing) which cannot be done with CDBurn-Lite
as provided on the 'standard' Iyonix disc image and your question is
couched in such a way that you already admit you need to use CDVDBurn.

In message <4edc0c872email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          John <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Has anyone managed to get DVD RAM writing/reading to work, please?

I know that Dave Higton has been trying out the DVD-RAM writing with a
few different drives although I am not sure how successful he has
been. At the moment, 2.02b does not have the extraction feature which
you might well need to get the data back off unless your particular
drive and CDFS mesh nicely together. Steffen is working on a universal
softloadable CDFS driver though.

I haven't tried it myself as I do not own any DVD-RAM capable drives.

> Having now installed a Lite-on drive and CDVDBurn, I cannot figure out how
> to format the RAM disc ready for use - I presume that it does need
> formatting first?

Which particular drive was it? Steffen mentioned [1] some of his
successful testing was done using an SHM-165H65. He also mentioned
that he had not found any DVD-RAM which was not 'formatted'. What does
the 'Show medium information' say in CDVDBurn's Tools?

At present, DVD-RAM is only used like a different type of rewritable
DVD but one which copes better with slower writing speeds and can
be overwritten many more times than DVD+RW. A Filecore formatter is
being looked into for DVD-RAM but not by Steffen himself.

> I have loaded the beta version 2.02b but there still seems to be no mention
> of DVD RAM anywhere and clicking on the icon, although the drive winds up,
> brings up only "CDFS does not support that type of disc".

I guess CDFS would say that about any DVD-RAM disc which has not been
written to. Have you tried writing to it as you would to an 'ordinary'
writable DVD?

Steffen offered the extractor-enabled CDVDBurn to potential beta
testers who contacted him directly. It sounds as though it works like
the 'ISO filer' but in reverse though for the Joliet section. It
should also be included in the version to be available for Wakefield,
along with a basic universal CDFS driver.

[1] In <012841ba4e.steffen@xxxxxxxxxxxx> on this list:
<URL://www.freelists.org/archives/cdvdburn/02-2007/threads.html>
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>       OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into yours and join the fun.