[cdvdburn] Re: Failure to produce a disc I can read

  • From: Thomas Milius <Thomas-Milius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cdvdburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:01:52 +0200

In message <4d87d8790ejcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Lesurf <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 09 Jul, Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <4d87aa58fbjcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Jim Lesurf
> >           <jcgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > [snip]
>
> > > If I ask CDVDBurn to give me information on the disc it reports as if
> > > the disc is completely blank. However visual inspection shows this is
> > > false. This makes me wonder if the 'table of contents' (or whatever
> > > provides this function) is absent, incomplete, garbled.
>
> > See 'Shortcomings of this version' in Docs.DVDinfo concerning 'free
> > capacity' and 'medium information' for DVD media.
>
> I can  confirm this. :-)
>
> I just wiped the DVD+RW to try writing a new collection of files onto it.
> Despite having been cleared, the 'medium information' reported the same
> amount occupied, etc, as before. However I successfully made a fresh set of
> about 4GB of files, etc, into isoimage(s) and wrote them onto the DVD+RW.

Steffen found the problem for this yesterday on our annual GAG meeting.
DVD+RW are a single big disc where you access every place. So the track
size is always 4.7GB. I had the same problem with my drive. Try to read
the track. You will obtain always a file of maximum DVD size. At DVD+R
only the really the required size is reported for you can't change it
anymore. Steffen promised to implemented an improvement.

Regards

Thoams Milius