<CT> Screen res

  • From: "Brian L. Johnson" <blj8@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Calmira_Tips <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 01:30:09 -0600 (MDT)

Well folks, I'm back in the Calmira world... Well ok, my main
computer is still a Linux box, but I took an old 486 I had ("Lal")
and reinstalled my old files. (I had them archived on my Linux
system, and transferred them back by my LAN)

Had some trouble getting the hard drive bootable, what with
cratered sectors and all, but some rounds with the various Norton
utilities fixed that. :)

One thing left to resolve, and this one has me stumped. Screen
resolution. I'm running on an IBM 8513 monitor, and I've tried three
different video cards - a Genoa Systems 8500VL (VLB), a Lightspeed
ET4000/W32P (VLB) and the current one, a Paradise VGA (Diamond
Speedstor). But NONE of them will take me over 640x480/16. When I
try any higher resolution, all I get is the screen going wild like a
TV whose horizontal and vertical hold is completely out of whack.

I have video drivers in place for all three cards, but all (don't)
do the same thing. I also tried the built-in driver for 8514, that
just gives me a blank screen.

Me thinks it's just the crummy monitor (oh why did I have to sell
that nice NEC Multisync...), but does anyone know of ANY way to get
this (*&#(*&#@! up to at least 800x600?

Erwin, I have to say that v3.3 is a heck of a piece of work, it's
still smooth and slick after all these years. I found myself
impressed with Calmira all over again. :)

But grrr... I can't say I really like that new app bar thingie, I
liked the aliases in the tray better. Oh well, my opinion. :)

Dang... Looking around, I have at my computer desk two computers
(stacked), two monitors (stacked), two keyboards, two mice, two
organizers (a Palm and a Psion), my laptop and my cellphone. So
within a few feet radius, I'm running Linux, Win31, Win95a, PalmOS,
EPOC/16 (Psion) and whatever the heck Kyocera puts in their
phones... Yes folks, I'm demented, and have the empty cans of
caffeinated beverages to prove it. <g>

-=Brian=-
rm -rf /bin/laden