<CT> Re: Screen res

  • From: Alan Grimes <alangrimes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:01:12 -0700

> One thing left to resolve, and this one has me stumped. Screen
> resolution. I'm running on an IBM 8513 monitor, and I've tried three
> different video cards - a Genoa Systems 8500VL (VLB), a Lightspeed
> ET4000/W32P (VLB) and the current one, a Paradise VGA (Diamond
> Speedstor). But NONE of them will take me over 640x480/16. When I
> try any higher resolution, all I get is the screen going wild like a
> TV whose horizontal and vertical hold is completely out of whack.

Geepers!
If one of those cards supports DCI, I would be interested in buying it
from you... -- A fully populated board is a pluss too.

> I have video drivers in place for all three cards, but all (don't)
> do the same thing. I also tried the built-in driver for 8514, that
> just gives me a blank screen.

Try connecting the monitor from your leenooks machine to it.

> Me thinks it's just the crummy monitor (oh why did I have to sell
> that nice NEC Multisync...), but does anyone know of ANY way to get
> this (*&#(*&#@! up to at least 800x600?

I'm running my 486 at 1024x768 64k colors.

> Dang... Looking around, I have at my computer desk two computers
> (stacked), two monitors (stacked), two keyboards, two mice, two
> organizers (a Palm and a Psion), my laptop and my cellphone. So
> within a few feet radius, I'm running Linux, Win31, Win95a, PalmOS,
> EPOC/16 (Psion) and whatever the heck Kyocera puts in their
> phones... Yes folks, I'm demented, and have the empty cans of
> caffeinated beverages to prove it. <g>

That's nothing.
I am using the internet from my simple and plesant 486 through a lan
running to my evil and demented Athlon running leenooks. THE LINUX
MACHINE CAN'T EVEN KEEP THE CORRECT TIME OF DAY!!!! I have to reset it
every day and it takes several attempts to get the correct time to
"stick".

--
My 486 boots faster than my Athlon!
http://users.rcn.com/alangrimes/