<CT> Re: Warning about abandonware MSoffice 4.3

  • From: Norm Finch <NormF@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:09:56 -0500

Martin B. Brilliant wrote:

> I just downloaded the latest definition files for F-Prot from Frisk
> Software, and scanned both the install file directory and the program
> directory. The search came up negative. So, "Scan, scan, scan ..."
> would not have prevented the disaster.

Did you have the heuristic component of F-Prot turned on when you scanned?
Because from the rest of what you're saying, that would tell me that either
the Officeware was corrupted in some very unfortunate way, or perhaps you
found a source or near-source post of a new virus ... hence the heuristic
question.

Your approach with NDD makes sense, though it's rather laborious.  The
ultimate question may be, "When did you make your last backup, and how
complete was it?"

Sorry to be a prophet of gloom and doom.

As for the rest of you guys, I know there's some of you who know far more
than Marty and I do about such things.  Somebody, pitch in and offer some
sage advise.

Norm
--
   "The chief virtue that language can have is clearness." - Hippocrates
                  -- Peace.  Write well.  Do good work. --